We’re going on almost a year of the pandemic. It’s been tough on everyone, and we’re all probably feeling restless by this point. It’s easy to let your emotions get the best of you, especially when you’re stressed about your job or worried about your loved one’s health. But bringing those emotions with you to work can put a damper on everyone’s energy and morale. It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and we want to help you get excited by providing some pick-me-up ideas that you can share with your team, patients, and doctors.
Why do we need a pick-me-up?
It’s no surprise that office morale and employee well-being have a lot to do with one’s job. A survey published by CareerBuilder states that 61% of employees are burnt out on their job, highly stressed, or both. At the same time, 89% of workers polled by the American Psychological Association reported being happier with their jobs if working for an employer that supports their well-being. It suffices to say that when the entire team, doctors, and even patients are happy being in your practice, the bottom line will go only one direction – UP!
Now, for some fun, pick-me-up ideas you can implement in your office next week in honor of Valentine’s Day. Fun activities don’t have to cost a lot of money or take much of your time, but the impact will be well worth it.
Team Pick-Me-Up Ideas
- Run a fun sock contest by having team members (and doctors) wear their favorite pair of Valentine’s Day socks. Post photos of everyone on social media, and let your followers vote on the best socks! The winner gets a prize!
- Hand out goodie bags to the team. You know your team best, but some ideas are nail polish, flowers, socks, cards, gift cards, treats, or baked goods.
- Host a team potluck or order a catered lunch if your budget allows.
- Have a cookie or candy exchange. If your team is focused on healthy eating, perhaps they may want to bring in their favorite gluten-free cookies or keto-friendly snacks to exchange.
- Memory sharing! Everyone has memories, and they’re even more special when we get to share them with others. Have team members write down their favorite Valentine’s Day memory on a marker board or paper, snap a photo of them holding their written memory, and then spotlight their pic on your social media outlets. A video of each team member sharing their memory also works well for social media posts.
Patient Pick-Me-Up Ideas
Part of the reason you do what you do is to help patients feel comfortable as if they are apart of your office “family.” Here’s your chance to make them feel like they are a part of your team.
Have a candy counting contest by setting a jar of candy hearts, jelly beans, or M&Ms on your front desk counter. Allow patients to guess how many pieces of candy are in the jar. Collect responses and names from each patient that week. At the end of the week, the patient who guessed the closest wins a gift card or a one-of-a-kind promotion such as a complimentary teeth whitening treatment or an electric toothbrush. Extend the contest to your online followers as well by posting a photo of the candy jar on your social media, outline the rules, and collect responses until the end of the week.
Another idea to involve patients is handing out cheesy Valentine cards all week long when they finish their appointment. Have team members write a personal message on the cards. You can prepare for this ahead of time by looking at your schedule now and writing the cards over the weekend or first thing each morning before patients arrive. Don’t just dump the responsibility on one person – get everyone involved!
Not only do these ideas create a sense of community among your patients, but it also creates 5-Star service and warm memories for your practice. It’s the little things that back a big difference!
Doctor/Owner Pick-Me-Up Ideas – (Attention: team members!)
Doctors, you can stop reading now! The rest is for team members – assistants, hygienists, and front office managers. It’s time to show your doctors some love this Valentine’s Day. They create a safe work environment for you every day. They provide you with a steady paycheck and job security. The doctors provide excellent care for your patients, and they see to it that the bills are paid so that you can open the doors to the practice each day.
Here are some ways to honor your doctor next week
- Each team member can make a short video telling one thing they love about working for their doctor.
- Pitch in and get a gift for your doctor. It could be something they love – a favorite bag of coffee, a homemade treat, etc.
- Everyone can give the doctors handwritten cards.
No matter what you do, make it fun and include everyone!
And help spread the love on social media too. Take lots of photos and post them on your social media channels daily. Not every patient will ma ke it into your practice next week, so let your followers feel like they are a part of the fun and action too, by posting online daily!
Dental Practice Consultants
These are only a few ideas of the fun things you can do to share some love with your patients, team, and doctors this Valentine’s Day. Most of them don’t involve spending much money and is something that everyone can take part in. If you’re looking for more ideas on how dental practices can celebrate Valentine’s Day during COVID or want to learn more about improving morale in your practice, contact Bryant Consultants.